Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Hollywood Holiday Ad Analysis (First) Outline


Attention getter: I’ve flown thrice in my life. Once was when I was a baby, so I’m not sure if that counts. It’s uncomfortable and kinda terrifying, and last time it happened I threw up for like 8 hours afterwards. I have lots of mixed feelings.
Thesis: This ad isn’t just trying to sell you a vacation—it’s trying to send you women, whiteness, and western beauty standards. Also, it’s trying to sell this specifically to, not anyone who wants to take a vacation, but straight men who either want a girlfriend or are considering cheating on their wife.
Credibility: My name’s Emmy, and I may not know much about the travel industry or marketing, but I know douchebaggery when I see it.
Transition: So, with douchebaggery in mind, let’s check this bad boy out.

1 Let’s start with the words.
                -Basic font, draws attention to or from certain words
                -Top part is kitschy rhythmic (consonance/assonance), draws you in
                -oooh that “plus tax” paraprosdokian
                -Bottom chunk of text is listed like side effects at the end of a medical commercial
                                                                -Just meant to finish you off if you’re still not sure by promising how easily all this can be yours
                -The word “glamorous”
                                -those ladies tho
                                -that “rich” lifestyle tho
                                -Which brings me to…

2 Visuals
-Generic semi-realistic semi-cartoony style of that time
-Surrounded by women
                -camera angle follows male gaze
-All white
-All match conventional western beauty standards
-So, what’s this really selling you? Not just a vacation



3
So, who’s the target clientele?
Summary
Clencher: It sure is great that marketing isn’t gendered anymore, and advertisements don’t turn women into sexual objects for a male clientele. We sure have learned our lesson. (big fake smile)

3 comments:

  1. Lots of good information, but it seems a little wordy right now, especially at the top. It might help to condense it into smaller points on your final outline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ellie, incase something were to go astray I would maybe at least bold what it is you are talking about so you can just glance at the paper and get back on track when need be. I think this is really well done though, I can totally tell you know what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this looks good for the most part but I do think that you should cut it down. There are a lot of words of the page that are unneeded for you to get a reminder of what you are talking about, you don't really need so many full sentences. Especially for the attention getter and your thesis, I would say try and just put down what you might forget not things that are going to prompt you to read from your outline. And don't forget your citations!

    ReplyDelete