Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Sunday, February 4, 2018

The Real Fallacies of New Jersey

Another Episode of "The Real Fallacies of New Jersey"

Welp. This is not my usual clientele I keep up with. However, I wanted to look for a really outrageous article about something I don't really watch or keep up with. I will admit before this I did watch the "For My Daughter" video released by Kylie Jenner while researching for this project then I promptly told everyone in my apartment that Kylie had her baby and proclaimed "I knew she was pregnant!" So I do have a soft spot for reality TV. Another random thing you now know about me! Whoop! Watch the video here

However, this article was crawling with some fallacies. The title of the article, "Danielle Staub of RHONJ is engaged for literally the 20th time." I love that title by the way, because of the annoying sarcastic tone it takes with Danielle Staub's journey to find love and the 19 other pitstops she visited on the way Anyway, on to "The Real Fallacies of New Jersey." 

1. Hasty Generalization

"If it didn't happen on TV, it apparently didn't happen." 

This quote is referring to her proposal being televised and Bravo's cameras just happened to be filming. The author of the article assumes (sarcastically) that if you don't see a proposal on TV then it didn't happen. By seeing Danielle's "heartfelt" over the top proposal on TV that means she was actually proposed to. So everyone who wasn't proposed to on TV didn't actually get proposed to which is a big generalization. I guess I'll have to tell my parents that their proposal didn't actually happen, because it wasn't on the big screen.

2. Appeal to Consequences

"It took a while to find Marty, but sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince."

This is a quote from one of Danielle's former foes. Awww how sweet former foes being nice....Anyway..This is an appeal to consequences because she is assuming that if you kiss a lot of frogs you will find the one. So the action before the consequence is kissing a lot of frogs (which is super gross btw) and the consequence is finding the prince. I would rather not kiss 19 frogs before I found the right one at the 20th one. Blehhhhhhhh.

3. Bandwaggon

"She was nice enough, so I guess congratulations are in order, huh?"

This one is basically assuming that since someone is nice that we should give them congratulations. She is pulling on our emotion of us thinking she must be an idiot for getting engaged five million times and shifting it to well I guess since she was nice I guess I will be nice too and congratulate. Since it is the normal thing to congratulate people when they are engaged we should jump on the bandwagon and do it too. 

However, I don't think I will be going the route Danielle did to get to that point. I guess now she will actually be a real housewife now since she will actually be married. :P

Here is a link to the article if you are a fan or Vrooman:

http://www.celebitchy.com/565137/danielle_staub_of_rhonj_is_engaged_for_literally_the_20th_time/





No comments:

Post a Comment