Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Fallacies or Phallusies?

OKAY LADIES, GENTS, AND OTHERS......my post is about the KWEEN herself, Ella, Lorde, the dancing queen, melodrama matriarch, the lover I will never have, a true glitter goddess. I could have found a better and easier article to analyze for fallacies, but I just couldn't help myself. Also, I keep wanting to spell 'fallacies' and 'phallusies' because phallic symbolism and all. Anyways, onward. I surfed around on Pop Sugar and this it what I found.



via GIPHY




1. Emotional Appeal 


So to start off, the title of the Pop Sugar article itself pulls on our emotions a lot. While in public, Ella and Jack seem to have a FRIENDSHIP TM, but if we are analyzing this for fallacies, we could potentially being promotion a problematic relationship without really knowing what we are promoting. I am not saying this is happening at all, but for the sake of this assignment, there she is. We automatically get the "aww" twisted face when we read that title, so there is a really good chance that we would skim over any bad things and/or writing after that....or not....but maybe.


"Attention World: We Need More Musical BFFs Like Lorde and Jack Antonoff"




Also, we get this pic. Huge emotional appeal. Or for me anyway it was.


Picture of Ella (Lorde) and Jack Antonoff at the Grammy's.
Cred: Getty/ Lester Cohen via Pop Sugar.





2. Band Wagon 


I think the bandwagon fallacy connects pretty closely to the emotional appeal fallacy in this specific article, for they are both kind of doing the same things for us as a reader. The first line reads like this:

"....we were blessed with Lorde's Melodrama in 2017 and some of us (read: me) are still not over that beautiful album," (POPSUGAR). 


If we did not feel blessed to receive the album or are over it... we may feel the need to reconsider...or not...if you hated it that much (BUT LIKE HOW) and don't feel the pull to be included in the "we" that the author is referring to, and therefore your true feelings may feel changed to make you into the follower and appreciator that you really aren't. "What a shame" -Matty Healy. 


And 


"Not only are Lorde and Antonoff a dynamic musical duo, they're also real life best friends, which makes their music together that much sweeter," (POPSUGAR). 


I read this and was like hmm...I never really thought of it too hard...I mean I have but now I HAVE and it kind of is sweeter. Boom. Fallacy. 





3. Slippery Slope and/or Accident 

The articles that I found about Lorde and the Grammy's on Pop Sugar had to be about a flask and about her best male friend, not just her and her musical accomplishments. 





So....while both things are cool af......can we just hear about her? AND the fact that she turned down a performance and she was the only one who wasn't asked to perform solo. So....like the whole leaving women out and not showcasing their work....it all culminates to a side eye at Pop Sugar and adding to the bigger fallacy of sexism and stuff. She said "boy bye" to that and sat her talented self down with her matching flask and watched the circus. Here is the short version of that news. TMZ is gross and the rhetoric in it is WOW but yeah. 





via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment