Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Fisher-Price Sportcar Speech Outline

Introduction
  • ·             Naturalism and joke of the ad
  • ·             Toy is gender neutral
  • ·             Rhetorical Devices used


Point 1
  • ·             The ad is highly naturalistic
  • ·             Uses a real little boy and girl in the ad
  • ·             Is meant to be a parody of an actual car ad


Point 2
  • ·             The ad uses a boy and girl so is meant to appeal to all children
  • ·             The structure of the ad is to focus only on the toy and not on the children


Point 3
  • ·             Rhetorical Devices used throughout the ad
  • ·             The toy takes up the vast majority of ad space
  • ·             The slogan is a play on words
  • ·             The children are dressed as scientists to add to credibility


Conclusion
  • ·             Was this ad effective?
  • ·             Do you want to purchase this toy?

4 comments:

  1. I understand all the points being made, and the argument seems to me that the ad is gender-neutral. Is this the entirity of the argument, or have I missed some of it? Although I'm not working with the ad, I'm a little confused as to what exactly is being argued here. Again, the content and breakdown is great, but the conclusion makes it confusing and there seems to be lack of a general argument. Personally, I like to mark out where to connect parts of my speech to remind myself but that's personal preference. Just tweak it a little and make sure it doesn't go too long, you have a fair amount of info. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it may be helpful structurally to have a more clear main point for each and then break it down from there, for I feel like I am no able to follow you as closely through your argument as you has intended for us. I think the conclusion would serve better, maybe, as a "so what?" question rather than if we want to purchase the toy or if the ad was effective. But good framework!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think overall this is a pretty good outline. I think you need to be a little more clear towards the end as making your last points into questions isn't quite as good as outright writing what you are going to say. Other than that I think you should be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing I would suggest is to dig a little deeper for an overall thesis, maybe on ideology being portrayed, then tie it into the conclusion. Other than that it looks great!

    ReplyDelete