Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Speech outline rough draft Ad#1

 Intro:

  Attention getter: In the United States coffee shops are the most popular first date location. (Time)


 Thesis:  TBD -but it will have to do with  Pan-American Coffee is selling the idea that ice coffee is more than a drink but can help make connections. 


  Preview: Pan-American Coffee targeted middle class Americans to want to buy their coffee by creating an AD with the perfect All American family with the white picket fence and family BBQ. The ad plays into the stereotypes of both men and women in the 1940’s. We see the woman being with her family while in a sense trying to start her own family with this hardworking man. I will be analyzing how the ad creates this scenario while also suggesting it through the text they used.     


Credibility: I have looked at this ad and Dr. Vrooman chart for 3 weeks ( time of the presentation). 


Organization: 


Body:

  •  Firstly  discuss the visual aspects of the add. Bringing in color, contrast, and objects.  

  • Then move on the language that was used and how it supports the visual aspects of the add. The use of words, rhythm, and fonts. 


Conclusion: The Scheme and tropes that Pan-American Coffee used for this 1940’s coffee had convinced us that coffee is so much more than just a drink but a way to make a connection. The connection can be for new friends or a new significant other. Today we still use ice coffee to help build connections with the people in our lives so I would say this ad was successful. *gets ice coffee and cheers towards the camera* Cheers to new friends. 


4 comments:

  1. I feel that this outline works as a solid structure for your presentation. Separating the analysis into discussions about the visual and language aspects of the ad is a really good choice. I am slightly concerned that the body of the analysis feels less substantial than the introduction or the conclusion but the final presentation will probably go more in depth with discussing both the visual and language aspects of the ad. I am not concerned about the presentation running over the time limit. It seems that the final presentation will have just enough content in the analysis. Overall, I think that this outline is promising and will be a good foundation for a strong analysis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trevor. I liked your comment on my other post and took that advice when making my outline. I do have more plan for the body and will in depth but I want to relook at Vroomans chart and add to one I made and then I will take the best points and put them in my outline. Really great advice.

      Delete
  2. I like the way you have organized your thoughts, but I think you wrote too much on the outline. Remember, during the time of the presentation, you're not supposed to be using the outline as a notecard that you just read off of. Therefore, I would work on making your outline more dynamic. For example, you don't need to have your whole conclusion there, just a few points of reference in case you forget what to say. Other than that, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you have organized your thoughts. I agree with J.L. that you may have too much on here. Think of more memory jogging bullet points when you formulate your real outline. I think the direction of you analysis is great and you will have a great presentation. Don't forget you connectors between sections to really pull it all together.

    ReplyDelete