Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

A&P Coffee Ad outline- #14

 Intro:

·       Attention getter: the Seattle Times reported that a suburban Chicago man fatally shot his wife in a fight over a coffee maker that had been left on…

·       Thesis:

-          Your significant other can make you feel bad about how you conduct your house, and so can an ad, they may even turn a gun to you.

-          But have no fear because A&P Coffee could just be your saving grace.

-          This ad reassures and gives you a roadmap to surviving your next coffee pour… thank goodness!

·       Preview: Let’s talk about how this ad reassures you that its not your fault your coffee sucks, then tells you no amount of practice can help, and how to successfully please your man.

·       Credibility: Yes of course, I know what I’m talking about 😊

Organization:

  •  It’s not your fault your coffee skillz suck! (hegemonic ideology tie-in)
  • You’ll never be good enough (bless your heart) (hegemonic continuation, tie into sexism of the time)
  • How to survive your next coffee pour (cover schemes: alliteration, epistrophe etc.)

Conclusion:

·       Through multiple schemes and tropes, and a spirit crushing ideology, this ad may at one time been successful, but it probably wouldn’t work on todays wife (discuss successfulness of ad: pros and cons). It certainly didn’t work for Karen Lotz, who lost her life over a coffee pot in 2019.

6 comments:

  1. I am confused about how the schemes and tropes that you will be analyzing connect with the ideas that you list in the “Organization” section of your outline. The ideas listed do not give me a clear idea of the schemes and tropes you will be discussing or how they help or hinder the quality of the ad. The use of the story about Karen Lotz catches my attention and creates a very memorable introduction and conclusion. The basic structure of your analysis (introduction, thesis, preview, organization, and conclusion) are intact but the body of your analysis itself seems confusing and lacking in depth. Additionally, I would recommend inserting transition statements between your ideas in your organization in order to add more clarity to your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input, I knew I was lacking in some areas and will try and clarify my thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Your attention getter is very intense. It did make me interested in the rest of what your outline would say. However I can't make a clear connection between the A&P ad and domestic violence due to a bad pot of coffee/coffee pot left on. I would suggest to state the connection you found in your speech. I am uncertain of what schemes and tropes you will be using to support your thesis but overall your outline is easy to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your attention getter (I literally laughed out loud at: “This ad reassures and gives you a roadmap to surviving your next coffee pour… thank goodness!”) I also think your conclusion ties everything together well. The one thing I’m confused on is how your schemes and tropes tie in to this narrative you’ve set up; but it is an outline designed specifically for you to remember your speech so I don’t think it’s a major issue because obviously I haven’t heard your speech yet so I’m sure once I do I will understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your attention getter and how you really tied it into your whole speech. I also liked how you laid out your outline to write it. I may not fully understand some of the points but I think that is the point of an outline because you do. You know how you want to deliver and what you want to say the listener is supposed to just be listening. Vrooman will like that your outline is "empty" it shows that you did your research and are prepared. I know you wrote this yesterday and it is just a rough draft so I can not wait to hear the final product. Just be careful with time if anything. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete