Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Thursday, February 27, 2020

BigFoot

Cum Hoc  
Two things that happened at the same time must have a causal relationship. 

Also on further investigation we found some small trees uprooted and pushed over in the outhouse area. And most important of all, the smell was gone.” 

The witness had seen some differences with the area where they were staying at after they had saw the “red eyed” creature 
Red Herring  
The premises of the argument are logically unrelated to the claim. 

Since we has children with us they had to go to the bathroom and my friend (who had spent his youth camping in the area and this campground) took the girls to the closest outhouse while my husband and I started setting up camp. 
They are talking about someone that is on the trip with them and how they went to camp at the same campground as a kid. Totally off topic and isn't needed.   
Post Hoc  
A thing that happens before another thing caused that 
“They came back and everyone was talking about how horrible the area around the outhouse smelled and we laughed saying it was close to end of season and about time to clean out the vault toilets.” 
They had all smelled the nasty smell before spotting the “red eyed” walking to the bathroom again later in the night.  
Appeal to force/ fear 
The conclusion should be accepted or I/we will do something bad to you. 

“My daughter finally found the trail down and I flashed my light down into this gullky to look for the outhouse. I found the outhouse and also found two red eyes looking back at me. The eyes which were reflected in my flashlight seemed to crouch down. I decided that I didn't need to go to the bathroom after all and made the decision to walk back to camp rather rapidly.” 
After the witness had seen the “red eyed” creature look back at her, she didn’t have the urge to use the restroom because she had gotten scared and walked back quickly back to camp.  

No comments:

Post a Comment