Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Friday, February 28, 2020

Bigfooot: P - OT


Term
Definition
Quote
Explanation
Premises à
Facts/Truths à
Observed
Agreed upon reality. à
Concrete data.

“I think it was around 7 feet tall. I am not too sure I do know it was quite a bit taller then myself. It was black in color but it had what looked like mud on its legs and arms. The fur or hair was long. It was on my girlfriend's side of the truck about 10 feet away and she said its hands were long and the thumbs were 'not right'.
In accordance to the couple, they provide concrete evidence that it was in fact Bigfoot that they spotted.
Premise Modifiers à
Presence à
Space
Drawing attention to premises à
Making it feel close
“My girlfriend, started to open her door and I grabbed her to stop her. She yelled that it was a 'bigfoot'. I had heard of them, I mean who hasn't, but to be honest until that very moment, I would never have believed that they existed. By the time I looked up from her the creature was standing on the side of the road watching us. When she opened her door the creature made like a squalling sound and turned into the woods.”
Within space, having the creature be placed so close gives the couple a clearer distinction of the characteristics of the creature.  All while feeling close, we can argue that the couple may or nay not have had a hands on personal experience with Bigfoot when getting to hear the sound it had made.
Based on the Structure of Reality à
Coexistence à
Intention
A cause and effect argument à
A person/manifestations argument à
Various acts reveal a unified essence
“I asked the female witness why she exited the vehicle upon seeing a large, unknown animal that was possibly feeding. She had no explanation for her behavior other than to say that the act was certainly out of character for her”
I believe one can argue that the girlfriend decided to step out of the car because she merely could not believe what she was seeing.  Because she steps out of the car she is able to then have a more personal experience with the creature and as well as allowing herself to have a better view of the creature.
https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=8441

1 comment:

  1. Your argument can be why they think Bigfoot is real and use these definitions/devices and try to look for more stuff to support what you are going to say.

    ReplyDelete