Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Bigfoot: P-OT Blog Post



Term:
Definition:
Quote(s):
Explanation:
           
Facts/truths
(Observed)
Agreed upon reality.
Observed.
 Concrete data.
“We sit back approx.125ft”
“I walked out to end of drive, approx. 200 ft.”
“w/ faint toe marks approx. 12 inches”
Uses specific numbers to back up what she has learned.
Presumptions
The normal
Based on a reference group or experience
“This is the same dog that almost went thru a screen door to attack the bear by our feeder a few weeks ago.”
Given the events that have happened, claiming her dog was behaving strangely.
           
Presence
Time
Making it feel urgent.

Space
Making it feel close.
“It was sunny day. We sit back approx.125ft from the road.
I saw a very black humanoid shape walking on two legs go past our driveway. It was half bent over then straightened up. It had longs arms swinging. The head was turned away & appeared to have very short neck & roundish head from that angle.”
She uses time and space to describe the scene, she says it was a sunny day, how far from the road she was and what she saw.
Interpretation
Specific Choices. Choose between alternatives.
“I saw a very black humanoid shape walking on two legs go past our driveway. It was half bent over then straightened up. It had longs arms swinging. The head was turned away & appeared to have very short neck & roundish head from that angle. I said to myself, "That looks like a chimp!”
She interprets and compares what she sees to a chimp-monkey.
Succession
A cause-and-effect argument.
“Later in day I went out to that area with my small dog. She refused to even walk and was trembling.”
Due to the presence of the creature, the dog did not want to walk where it had been.
Intention
Various acts reveal a unified essence.
“I noticed an area of bent weeds that would have been where the creature had exited our woods, going into a small ditch then back up to get onto road before walking past our drive. On the roadside, in the direction I saw it going, there were 3 barefoot heel depressions w/ faint toe marks approx. 12 inches long. The area was dry with fine gravel so not a clear print.”
She was able to paint a whole picture of the creature and the situation because of the knowledge she had been getting.
Example











Dissociation
Event/s reveal/s a rule or reality.










(breaking ideas into sets of philosophical pairs like appearance/reality to develop and explain a new idea)
“The week before, I had heard twigs snapping & weeds moving behind my fenced garden. This approx. 40 ft from the front porch where I often sit. The dog barked.”







“I said to myself, "That looks like a chimp!". I watched for it for approx.12 seconds until it disappeared behind trees going east on road. There are spots that I can see thru the trees to the neighbors drive, so I was looking for it to either go up the drive or continue on road.”
Uses more than one event to describe her experiences.










She explains what she saw as a chimp to equate it to something we have seen before.



2 comments:

  1. You have a lot of good tools to use to make your thesis! A lot of what you pulled from the report is about the small dog and there seems to be a lot of fear being induced in the article from the quotes that were pulled out. I wonder if her dog wasn't with her and behaving scared, then if the author would still believe that this instance was a bigfoot sighting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure which post you used, but I think you found some good examples of fallacies and arguments. I really like all the things you found on the dog being with her, it was very interesting and kind of funny! I think that the fact that she uses measurements could possibly be supposed instead of fact but that could be wrong on my part.

    ReplyDelete