Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Friday, February 28, 2020

BigFoot

https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=8441
Term:
Definition:
Quote(s):
Explanation:
Appeal to Misleading
Authority
Using an authority to
affirm a conclusion
when the authority is
not expert enough, in
the context, to assure
the conclusion.
"My girlfriend, started to open her door and I grabbed her to stop her.  She yelled that it was 'bigfoot'.  I had heard of them, I mean who hasn't, but to be honest until that very moment, I would have never believed that they existed."
I believe this ties into creditability. Given that his girlfriend was asleep at the time, and that she was able to wake up in time to see and account all the details of the creature just doesn't seem credible.
Hasty Generalization Bandwagon

A conclusion is
drawn from too small
a sample of evidence.
"She sat up and screamed that were about to hit him.  I locked the brakes of her truck up and when I did whatever it was stood up in the orad and started to run to our right towards to the woods.  My girlfriend started to open her door and I grabbed her to stop her.  She yelled that it was "bigfoot"
Before she claims that the creature is Bigfoot she never saw anything, but was immediately able to come to the conclusion that it was Bigfoot. .
Bandwagon

A popular idea is
correct.
.
"She yelled that it was bigfoot.  I had heard of them, I mean who hasn't, but to be honest until that very moment, I would never have believed that they existed."
He clearly admits that he has not once believed Bigfoot was an actual creature, but after his girlfriend makes a hasty conclusion he now believes in the creatures.
Wishful Thinkin
Something is true because I want it to be
"I think it was around 7 feet tall. I am not too sure I do know it was quite a bit taller then myself.  It was black in color but it had what looked like mud on its legs and arms."

Because the characteristics of Bigfoot match up to this made up image of Bigfoot, then it must be the creature that they came across.
Cum Hoc
Two things that
happened at the same
time must have a
causal relationship.
"I think it was around 7 feet tall.  I am not sure if it was looking or feeding on the doe but it had been moved by it.  You could see where the creature had shifted the animal on the road or at least it looked like that when I got out to look.

Because the creature has the appearance of Bigfoot as well as the as behaviors of one then it must be true that the thing they are seeing is Bigfoo

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all the devices you have chosen. It connects well with each other. That is actually a lot of fallacies, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete