Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Bigfoot Fallacies and P-OT Charts




Hierarchically arranged
Example linked to double hierarchy of multiple events/concepts.
“I went back inside my house and grabbed the gun, when I came back out it was gone. I don't know what he was doing there. It was just a big tall black mass peeking out from behind the shed.” Then the author states that,”… I jumped up and ran inside to get the gun. I was able to see its head, part of the shoulder and some of the knee. It was leaning out.”
One minute the author is saying that they really couldn't see Bigfoot, and in the next quote now they're saying what they saw of Bigfoot.
Presence
Event strikes the imagination in connection with the rule.
“I'll be sitting on my couch and feel like someone is looking through that window and I'll look up and there is nothing there. And when I get this feeling I am home by myself.”
I think all of us feel that at one point, and they can’t just assume it is bigfoot.
Space
Making it feel close.
“It was massive, it was big.”
She makes it sound like it was super close to her.
Red Herring
The premises of the argument are logically unrelated to the claim.
“I have an apple orchard in the back , but of course this time of year there aren't any apples. But last year later on a lot of apples were gone. My husband picks up all the bad ones and throws them out in the field.”
The last sentence in this has nothing to do with bigfoot. If it does it makes no sense.
Appeal to Ignorance
Something is true because there is no evidence for it.
“There has been other times by my camper shell I have heard noises, I've run inside and get the big light and shine it over there but nothing there. There are a lot of unusual noises I've heard over the years here that I've never been able to put what it was.”
There is no evidence to prove that it was bigfoot all those years.
Wishful Thinking
Something is true because I want it to be.
Overall text of the bigfoot story.
No pictures of anything, not even
the footprint.







Restraint
Connections between act and essence are reduced.
Throughout her story, her facts really do not add up.
She tries to make the reader try to believe her but fails.





Accident
A sweeping generalization of a fact or a rule, presented as if it has no exception.
“I got to thinking about this because someone found a footprint recently between Bunker Hill and Staunton.”
She really wants us to believe it is BigFoot who watches her.





http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=41043


2 comments:

  1. The words on the picture are too small for me to read and when I went to zoom in I still could not see because it was blurry :(

    ReplyDelete