Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Friday, February 28, 2020

BigFoot P-OT

Presumptions 
The likely  
Also on further investigation we found some small trees uprooted and pushed over in the outhouse area. And most important of all, the smell was gone.” 

The group thinks that the creature they had spotted the night before did the damage to the trees/ area and was the one causing the horrible smell.  
Presence  
Time  
“My daughter finally found the trail down and I flashed my light down into this gullky to look for the outhouse. I found the outhouse and also found two red eyes looking back at me. The eyes which were reflected in my flashlight seemed to crouch down. I decided that I didn't need to go to the bathroom after all and made the decision to walk back to camp rather rapidly.” 

With the “red eyed” creature that had made eye contact with the witness, she had the need that she needed to get back to the campgrounds as fast as she could so she could tell the others. Also so she didn’t get attack/hurt by whatever she spotted with her flashlight.  
Facts/Truths 
Supposed  
“When got to the outhouse I realized that the eyes I saw reflected back at me had stood about 7 to 8 feet off the ground.” 
The witness didn’t get a good look of how big the creature was at night when she first spotted it, but when she went back to the bathroom the next morning. She believed he was about 8 feet tall.  
Example 
Single 
“I found the outhouse and also found two red eyes looking back at me. The eyes which were reflected in my flashlight seemed to crouch down.” 
The witness had noticed the red eyes look back at her and stare but also saw that it had moved into a crouch position.  

2 comments:

  1. So for time, I would elaborate on the fact that these events then seemed urgent. I think that is an important word to use when considering the fallacy. something else that you could maybe use is space and the distance at which this thing was standing? maybe this would emphasize how much more urgent this situation was and build to the argument. one other thing I would look into for this particular piece, is the illustration clarity, I think this is something that may help your argument. Overall, I think you have a really good start it gives us the basic outline of what you want to say and yo have some really important points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you're picking other fallacies that are not so mainstream and I don't believe you used most of them for your past presentation so kudos to you on that. To kind of piggyback off of Bri's comment, the premise modifier of "time" that you use seems to be a big point to discuss because of the sense of urgency in the overall piece. The biggest thing I think you need to think about it how you'll structure this for the presentation. I would start thinking how you can incorporate all this info into it effectively and not just with text. Finding the "magic feather" to relate to will help you out once you start preparing your presentation.

    ReplyDelete