Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Monday, January 29, 2024

Cereal Ad Details

 


I originally chose this ad because it seemed like it would be simple. This was proven wrong as I began asking myself what the hell I was looking for and trying to explain my choices without stretching to a conclusion. Like do I need to point out the subtle racist mannerisms displayed by separating the white and brown eggs? Why have everything else covered BUT the whole untouched cooked chicken?
It drove me insane. Why did she pour a bowl full of cereal, begin pouring milk, and then stop? I think the message would've been better had the milk still been pouring (despite the gross ratio of cereal to milk being displayed.)
In my opinion what was used (for its time) works in its setting, as a contemporary ad, no.

2 comments:

  1. So I think you are on to something about the subtle racism in this ad with the eggs. I think that is worth mentioning.
    I also noticed something, I'm not sure if this is a stretch or not, but in the text below the ad the term "so sparkling white," seems to almost to praise the color white. Paired with the seperated brown and white eggs and the "so sparkling white" text I believe this may be racist, and I believe you can base you Thesis off of segregation and the time period maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Kellogg’s ad skillfully blends language and visuals in their ad, crafting a nostalgic, late- night cereal experience. Through linguistic devices like enumeratio and anti-climax, and visual techniques like low contrast and balanced diagonals. The ad transforms cereal into a comforting, sensory-rich ritual. Iconic elements, such as the chicken and green door, not only evoke regretfulness but also create a personal connection.

    ReplyDelete