Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Social Media Theories - Anti Prop 8

1. Though I wouldn't use it directly, the "#MeToo and Intersectionality: An Examination of the #MeToo Movement Through the R. Kelly Scandal." made me realize I could use intersectionality to discuss this movement further. I have previously talked about it a bit before in another post, so it would be a great theoretical framework to use in my presentation.

2. In the "The Mother Come Together" reading, the women are standing up against oppression and are fighting the dominant power that reigns over them. This is very similar to what happened with Anti Prop 8. They fought the dominant narrative of what society believed to the norm (hegemony) and they wanted marriage equality rights. Just like the Madres, they're fighting against the government because they feel like the government has been using their power against them in a spiteful and oppressive way.

3. I can also use the "Rhetoric of Historical Movements" as it discusses what rhetoric criteria we should use to discuss social movements. In particular, judging the effectiveness of the discourse of this movement and talking about whether it is effective or not. It's a key factor in any social movement it seems and if I discuss it's effectively, I will be able to talk more about the process of the movement overall rather than just bits and pieces.

I also have found some a primary source where protestors, supporters of Prop 8, and supporters of the protestors themselves talked about the situation at hand: https://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-prop816-2008nov16-story.html. I can also use signs like the one above as primary sources of their messages as that is directly from the protests themselves. Furthermore, I can use this as a great source for secondary data as it discusses all of the big Anti Prop 8 rallies: https://www.answercoalition.org/08_11_18_report_from_the_nationwid. I also believe my social movement is more centered around a comic frame as most of the signs typically poke fun at the faults and flaws of the law and what they believe to ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment