Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Texan Bigfoot: P-OT Analysis

 

Rhetorical Argument Devices

Definition

In Text Example

Presumptions: The Normal

Based on a reference group or experience.

“I began to feel uncomfortable in there, unlike hunting or hiking anywhere else. My husband also noticed this feeling of being watched or hunted, as did guest we brought with us.”

Loci: Quantity

More of good is better.

“I have multiple reports to make.”

Premise Modifiers: Repetition

Say it again. And again. And again

“Bigfoot’s Backyard”

Time

Making it feel urgent.

“Like a 2 second extremely loud howl that just abruptly ends. Hair raising howls. Another abrupt howl answers him from down the draw towards the lake followed by three loud knocks, loud as gunshots.”

Based on the Structure of Reality: Unlimited Development

Increased developments along a track continually increase value.

“Based on these experiences there are some facts that I truly believe. Bigfoot is a real animal not a mythical creature.”

2 comments:

  1. A thesis that I would suggest would be:

    In an effort to inspire caution and a heightened sense of awareness about the existence of Bigfoot, the author of this sighting report utilizes fallacies such as an accent and a hasty generalization as well as the rhetorical elements of quantity and time to successfully argue for caution in potential encounters with Bigfoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your chart and it seems very organized. The report also seems very interesting to me and I am going to be interested in how you choose to run with your thesis. I personally do not believe the person just from reading your chart as of right now but there is definitely more to the story than just these. The part that really makes me skeptical is that she is claiming to have multiple reports. (personally if I ever saw Bigfoot I would really hope to never see him again...but that is just me)

    I also agree with Trevor and I think he gave you a really good building block on how you can build your thesis.

    ReplyDelete