Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Fallacy Chart Big Foot Report 67313

 


Fallacy Identified

Definition

In text example

Appeal to Misleading Authority

Using an authority to affirm a conclusion when the authority is not expert enough, in the context, to assure the conclusion.

 

“I am currently on Active Duty Army for 20+ years now."

 

“I started watching your show by sheer coincidence around 2016 or so. Your show was the 1st time I heard of Bigfoot actually being discussed widely.”


“All I know is I am 6’1”. I was standing on the road and the water line was like 3-4 foot below the road.”


Slippery Slope

A series of steps in a casual chain and the support/ probabilities for each is omitted in an argument that A basically causes Z.


“So the entire time we are having this discussion, this thing is still walking towards us. As it is in front of us head-on, you can see it is massive. I am still thinking that it is a guy in a Gilley hunting suit. Then I immediately think to myself, well how deep is this water here? How soft is the bottom, it's like a marsh, because this thing, this guy is walking smoothly enough to throw water effortlessly.”


Hasty generalization

A conclusion is drawn from too small a sample of evidence.

 

“Again, It was dusk at this point, this thing was literally 20 ft, in front of us in the wide open. Since it was dusk, just past sunset, where you still have that moment of visibility, you can see how big it was.” 


Emotional Appeal

Something is true because it makes us feel good or untrue because it doesn’t.


“My mom passed away the next year in 2001. I never got to ask her what her thoughts were about that day.”



https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=67313

No comments:

Post a Comment