Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Monday, March 1, 2021

Bigfoot P-OT Analysis

 



Facts/truths:Observed

Concrete data.

“MOM: Do you hear that? 

ME: Yes”

“All I know is I am 6’1”. I was standing on the road and the water line was like 3-4 foot below the road. This thing was about eye level if not taller and twice as wide as I was at the time. Just massive”

Facts/truths:Supposed

Probable data.

MOM: What is that?

ME: Must be a deer.

MOM: No, it sounds like its walking.

ME: Yes, a deer walking through the water, you can hear its steps.

MOM: No, it sounds like it's walking on two feet, cause a deer has four legs and you’ll be able to hear them.

ME: I don’t know, sounds like a deer to me.

MOM: Listen closely; whatever it is is walking on two legs coming this way.

Transivity

If A=B and B=C, then A=C

“This area is not known for bears, I do not think. I never saw one, but if a bear can walk on two legs thru a creek and turn and walk up the embankment on two legs, then I saw a bear.”

Space

Making it feel Close

“Again, It was dusk at this point, this thing was literally 20 ft, in front of us in the wide open.”

Example:Single

One event is an example.

“After we got home I never talked to my mom or dad about it. I end up coming back to Oklahoma after the weekend was over. None of us ever talked about it again after that moment. Not sure why to me it was like a distant memory that quickly.”


https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=67313

2 comments:

  1. This is probably one of the longest stories on this sight. But you found a lot a great stuff to use in your thesis. if you think it is true or not I find it intrguing that he remembers this conversation word for word 20 years later. I personally would not be able to do this. But he uses lots of fallacies and rhetorical arguments to tell his story so you have a lot to work with and then some. I would argue against it personally. I have to see it to believe it and this story almost seems to accurate 20 years later so how much was added or forgotten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback! I agree with you that it seems a little sketchy that he remembers so much after twenty years.

      Delete