Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Bigfoot outline CA

ATTENTION GETTER: How many of yall have a dog that barks at creatures outside? How many of yall are afraid of the dark?


PREVIEW: Christie Sproull, a 39 year old in Ohio has had multiple encounters with a bigfoot over the years, and these are her encounters in vivid detail. 


CREDIBILITY: This is my second class with professor Vrooman, and my second time using these charts so I am very familiar with identifying these now.


THESIS: Today we are going to look at the multiple encounters Christie and her family had with this bigfoot that was stalking their backyard and house.


BODY:

SPACE, MAKING IT FEEL CLOSE: “As i started to get closer, maybe 3 feet away, I heard something big shuffling in the briers.”


PRESENCE REPETITION: “It was very big, very tall, very wide.” And then again “

me very very tall, very, very wide.”



BANDWAGON : They both came back inside my son had the same description as me


WISHFUL THINKING: I told them the dog would bark and growl if something was out there.



EMOTIONAL APPEAL: “ It scared me so badly I was shaking and crying.”


 TU QOUQUE - The author did not believe any of the stories until they saw it himself. Example is “I never really believed them. I tried to convince them that there was nothing there”



CONCLUSION: This family has had multiple visual sightings in the same location with details that all match up. 






3 comments:

  1. While you do have a fairly sufficient introduction and a solid structure for much of your presentation outline, I feel that the thesis, connective statements, and conclusion are somewhat lacking. For your thesis statement, I would recommend looking for any type of reasoning behind utilizing any of the fallacies or the rhetorical devices that the author of the Bigfoot sighting report may have had or reading to see if there was a certain overall effect that the author may have wanted his Bigfoot sighting report to have on his audience. Additionally, elaborating on how the fallacies and rhetorical devices incorporated into your chosen Bigfoot sighting report connects with how the family being described had multiple visual sightings of Bigfoot in the same location would create a much stronger conclusion for this presentation. Aside from these few notes, you seem to have a clear structure in mind for what you want to discuss about your chosen Bigfoot sighting report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your outline is much easier for you to follow if you need it, but I'm having a hard time connecting your Body to your slides. Again, maybe this will be made more clear during your presentation. Otherwise it all looks neat and organized

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that your outline is exactly would it's supposed to be: a few number of points to help guide you as needed during your presentation. However, I would suggest possibly labeling which of these items fall under the categories of fallacies and P-OT. It might help you keep everything a bit more in order. I would also be mindful to incorporate connectives in between your points, as well as to credit all the sources that were used in your research. Other than that, I feel that you have a great outline! Good job!

    ReplyDelete