Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Monday, February 20, 2023

Fallacies: Ghosthunting Texas - Lonesome Dove Inn

                                                              Fallacies 

Fallacy 

Example in Chapter 

Argument 

Begging the Question 

“I felt as though there was a young male spirit trying to communicate with me.....I had never had anything happen to me like that before.”  

This has never happened to her before yet she’s part of a paranormal club/group?  

Wishful Thinking 

“Suni Hoffman explained that she believed she too was communicating with the spirit of a little boy....it might have been the same one I had encountered earlier.”  

There could be several spirits in the house and how does Suni know it’s a boy? There’s little context here to know this information.  

Hasty Generalization 

Mary: “I am familiar with the creaks and noises this house makes, but those footsteps weren’t something I could mistake for an old house.” 

Narrator: “I wonder who the spirits are..... 

Creaks, noises, and footsteps....OOOOO, that could only mean one thing: GHOSTS!!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment