Links to rhetorical tools:

Here are links to the rhetorical tools used in this class:

Schemes & Tropes -- Perelman & Olbrechts-Tyteca -- Fallacies -- Burke -- Rhetorical Toolbox -- Conspiracy Rhetorics

Monday, March 2, 2020

Bigfoot outline/ slides

Intro: 
-attention getter
-name and credibility: the person who wrote the bigfoot story and the people who made the charts
-thesis: this apparent “bigfoot sighting” is just another story that was made by someone who claims they saw something they WANTED to see but in reality probably saw something else

Body:
-wishful thinking: “because I was using the tree line as cover.”......”Well now that I was within good sight of the creature. It was easy to see what it was.” He couldn’t see very well because of the tree line, but he claims he could tell what the creature was, in reality he wanted it to be bigfoot
-hasty generalization: “I had a roommate who was 6'7” and this creature would have easily stood over him. At the best guess I would have to say that it was 7'6” tall” He was at least 75 ft away from the creature so it would be hard for him to compare it to something just from memory
-red herring: “I had talked to two local fishermen about what was in these rivers, and what to use.” In this paragraph he was talking about his surroundings and the environment he was in
-unrepresentative sample: “At first I thought that it was just a stump, seeing that I had left my glasses in the truck. Now my vision isn’t that bad, but I still need them for driving. But, I started feeling a little uneasy due to an earlier encounter” He couldn’t see well so he couldn’t be  sure of what he saw
-fact, supposed: “Now, I had a roommate who was 6'7” and this creature would have easily stood over him. At the best guess I would have to say that it was 7'6” tall” He’s assuming that the creature was 7’6” but there’s no way for him to be completely sure considering he was about 75 yds away
-presence, time: “After the creature had left, I did the same, once I could get my feet working again.“ When he saw the  creature leave he didn’t know where it was going so he wanted to get somewhere safe as soon as possible, especially because it  had seen him too
-presence, space: “I got to within about 75 yards, because I was using the tree line as cover. That was as close as I wanted to get.” 75 ft being close can be subjective, but being 75 ft from an unusual huge creature can feel a little too close
-succession: “Well now that I was within good sight of the creature. It was easy to see what it was. It finally stood up, and I didn’t know up until that point how big it really was.“ Since he decided to get  fairly close to the creature it helped to better make out what it probably was and some details of it

Conclusion: 
-restate thesis
-summary
-clincher









1 comment:

  1. I like that your thesis is kind of based around the wishful thinking fallacy! A focus like that allows you to use the other fallacies and P-OT things to bring your main one up and sharpen it, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete